This post has been contributed by the SEO agency Local SEO Group, helping companies achieve fantastic digital marketing results online that improve revenue and traffic.
What is SEO and why should I care?
SEO is an acronym for search engine optimization (or search engine optimisation in the UK). This is the process of optimising a website to rank highly in a search engine. A search engine is a website where people go to find things on the internet. Search engines document all websites they find online, noting down what they’re about (sort of like an encyclopedia), so that when a user is looking for something, they can sort through the relevant websites they know of, and provide a list of useful results.
Search engines make money by selling adverts at the top of the space on results pages. These go to the highest bidder, using a pay per click model.
Organic SEO focuses on ranking in the non-paid part of Google, including both the blue links, and the Google Maps section.
Techquickie also has a good video on this:
What is an SEO agency?
An SEO agency is a company trying to help businesses to rank better in a search engine in exchange for a fee. They are responsible for advising and often implementing SEO changes onto your website and associated properties, in order to rank them higher in Google and other search engines such as Yahoo and Bing.
They will often report via monthly email documents, and often via monthly phone calls or presentations.
If you want to learn more about ecommerce seo services click here.
What does a typical SEO service look like?
A typical SEO service will involve the following tasks:
- Onboarding – getting the necessary access information from the client, and adding them to CRM systems.
- Business research – market research on the company and competitors, to understand how the business operated and what its USP is.
- SEO Audit – a full SEO audit of the website is essential to diagnose key issues.
- Strategy and Timeline – these map out changes over time, and document where things will be changed and how long it will take.
- Keyword research – this involves looking at SEO tools to figure out how companies and customers search for your products and services.
- Link building – this is the process of getting links from other websites. The links should be relevant and if possible send traffic.
How do you make a website? Can you make it yourself?
You can easily make your own website these days, however the system you choose may limit your SEO capabilities. WordPress websites are by far the best ones from an SEO standing. These must be self-hosted, not the ones on wordpress.com.
You can add all of the relevant pages for your products, and then let an SEO company login to optimise the site, which makes it a lot easier to provide a service.
To learn more about SEO, you can checkout the following tutorial: https://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo